Wednesday, November 19, 2008

camryn's lovey

Camryn officially has a "lovey". I first heard the word "lovey" when I saw T. Berry Brazelton on the Oprah show years and years ago. He also writes about it in his book, Touchpoints. He says that children who have a "lovey", an object that they rely on to help them calm, feel better, transition, etc., are children who are nurtured, who demonstrate inner strength and who learn the ability to self-comfort...all very important skills that they will rely on in life. I remember being attached to stuffed animals as a child and I liked the idea of a "lovey" so I purposely introduced each of my kids to one particular stuffed animal from when they were only a few weeks old and by 3-4 months, these animals officially became part of the family. Connor has a dog named "Doggie", Em has a rabbit named "Bunny" and now, because I am so creative with stuffed animal naming, Camryn has a frog named "Froggie". She gets excited when she sees Froggie and when she has him, she tries to eat him.

Camryn swinging with Froggie.
Emily trying to convince Camryn to give Froggie to her. She's saying, "Share Froggie".

Emily's hands are getting a closer to Froggie here. If Camryn could talk, I think she'd be saying, "Back off sista!"

No comments:

Post a Comment