Sunday, December 27, 2009

snow days

This time last week we had two feet of snow and now we have nothing.  The 50 degree temperature today and tons of rain washed it all away.  It was fun while it lasted though (although I'm not too sure Carl would agree since he had to clear the driveway, sidewalk and walkway).  I enjoy the snow and I'm so glad we live somewhere where we get to experience it somewhat, but not all winter like in North Dakota or Minnesota.  I was telling Connor that when I was a kid, I would spend all day out in it when it snowed.  I'd build tunnels and caves at the bottom of my driveway (actually my dad probably did all of the actual work while I watched and critiqued).  He took me sledding all of the time and would pull me around our street on my wooden sled.  I remember sitting in my living room when I was a kid, listening to the guy on KYW read all of the school closing numbers.  I think my school district was 803 or 806 and I can remember the excitement building as the guy reached the high 700's and then all of the sudden it was 800, 801, 802...!  I feel sorry for kids who grow up in Florida...there seriously is nothing like a good snowfall.  Working in a school, I still get to experience snow days...that never gets old.  I'm hoping for one more snowstorm before the winter is over so that we can take the kids sledding for the first time. 

All three of them loved playing in the snow this past week.  Saturday, Sunday and Monday went like this: dress kids for the snow, play in the snow, come in and take off all of the snow clothes, have hot chocolate, repeat.  Here are some pics from the fun we had last weekend...


The entire dressing routine for all three probably took about 20 minutes


Camryn could not get up on her own after she was dressed


Emily throwing snow up into the air and then having it all land back on her face


All Connor wanted to do was throw snowballs at Carl and I, but definitely could not handle the retaliation


Emily wanted to throw a few of her own too


I love the wall of snow here behind Camryn


Connor kept trying to walk through the snow


Emily and Camryn making their way down the sidewalk


Connor kept trying to save his snowballs...he was carrying this one to a big pile of them


Our home...the upstairs window on the right is Connor's room.  By the next day, it was completely covered by a snow drift.  It looked cool from the inside.


Emily wanted to make snow angels the entire time we were out there


This is the only bad thing about playing in the snow

1 comment:

  1. I remember listening to the radio too - waiting to hear if school was closed. Thanks for that - I haven't thought of that in years and its a good memory!

    ReplyDelete