Saturday, June 6, 2009

another first



As your children get older, the milestones that they reach become less frequent. During their first few years, there are a million "firsts"; first smile, first laugh, first time they track you with their eyes, first response to their name, first roll-over, first grasp of a toy, first sits, crawls and steps, first conversations, first potty's, first imaginations, drawings and pretend play, first tricycle rides, amusement rides and playdates. They continue to reach milestones, just not as many or as often. You even get bad at recording all of them as you so diligently did the first few years. And then, all of a sudden, another milestone sneaks up on you and you can't believe it's here. For me, this describes how I felt yesterday watching Connor graduate preschool. I don't know where the last two years went.

I remember his first day of school like it was yesterday. I couldn't believe that I was actually going to be leaving him somewhere...somewhere that I wouldn't be. That I wouldn't be there to know what was going on, what he was doing, or what someone was doing to him. He was quietly nervous as we entered school that day for the first of many drop-offs. He was brave, because although I could see the watery eyes and the look of uncertainty on his face, he didn't cry. He trusted that I knew what I was talking about when I said that he would be fine, that it was okay to feel nervous, but that he would love school. And he did. He told me today that he is going to miss his preschool, that he wishes he could go back there. He told me that he is nervous about Kindergarten but also excited. He's so mature, so confident, and in every way, so the son I hoped he would be.


Connor, Thomas and Jordan



Connor, Grandpop and Mom Mom



Getting his diploma


The school program was really cute. Connor had been talking about it for weeks because they were practicing every school day. There were a few skits; Connor was proud of himself (his words) that he was going to be playing Papa Duck in "Three Little Ducks" and that he was going to be carrying a bridge in "The Red Racer". Carrying a bridge made out of cardboard from one end of the stage to the other literally took 5 seconds...so fast that I couldn't even catch it on video, but his face was priceless. He had this huge smile, as if he had been given the starring role in a major Broadway show. They also sang songs...my favorite was "Jesus Loves Me", which they sang and signed. I made him do it for me again during breakfast this morning.

1 comment:

  1. You are raising a wonderful little man! The fact that he can say that he is proud of himself speaks volumes about how safe and loved he must feel. What a great day for you!

    ReplyDelete